Friday, July 13, 2012

5 Kumi Tachi-Ni no Tachi (The 2nd Kumi-tachi)

Ni no Tachi (The 2nd Kumi-tachi)

“He, the uchi-tachi, or attacking sword, slowly raises his weapon and I, the uke-tachi, or receiving sword, slowly match his movement. He attempts to attack my leg since he cannot attack my forehead and I parry. As I attempt to cut his wrist, he thrusts using the movement contained in the seventh suburi. Then, I take a step back, twisting my hips to parry his sword. He steps forward to strike me and I take another step backward and I again parry and press his sword downward. He again uses the thrusting movement from the seventh suburi and again I parry. I counter his final strike by bringing my sword to the horizontal position to execute the decisive movement.” – Morihiro Saito Sensei




Notes
1. In the dan-kai form you execute three movements for the ichi count, the first of which is performed together by uchi-tachi and uke-tachi, and three movements for the ni count; uchi-tachi moves on the line.