Friday, July 13, 2012

5 Kumi Tachi-Ichi no Tachi (The 1st Kumi-tachi)

Ichi no Tachi (The 1st Kumi-tachi)

“As I raise my sword, intending to strike, he blends with me and thrusts at my chest. I step back, dodging his sword to protect my body, and cut downward. He steps forward with his left leg to strike me. I step backward and parry him from the left hanmi. He comes to attack me in the right hanmi. Stepping back from the left hanmi to the right hanmi I strike downward to the parallel position parrying him and then thrust. It is important that we do not end up in a mutual kill situation. This is an important sword principle.” – Morihiro Saito Sensei




Notes
1. In the dan-kai form you execute three movements for the ichi count.
2. In the dan-kai form uchi-tachi strikes yokomen-uchi targetting uke-tachi’s right elbow.
3. Uchi-tachi moves on the line.