Friday, July 13, 2012

5 Kumi Tachi-Yon no Tachi (The 4th Kumi-tachi)

Yon no Tachi (The 4th Kumi-tachi)

“If we were to perform this kata at close range, it would be dangerous and injuries would be likely to occur. We both move forward, executing irimi or entering thrusts. Therefore, for safety’s sake during training we both take one step back. He thrusts straight forward and I thrust him, using an irimi movement. If he raises his shoulder and strikes too high, he will injure my face, so please execute the proper basic thrust without raising the shoulder. I too must execute a proper irimi thrust to his chest. Next, I deflect his sword downward. He then enters to thrust as in the 7th suburi and I parry. We control his next attack in the same manner as in the first suburi.” – Morihiro Saito Sensei